(National Occupational Classification 2016 - NOC Code: 4154)
About Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC):
Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia, a registered charity, was incorporated in 1999 by a group of well-wishers to satisfy the spiritual needs of the devotees of Lord Ganesha in British Columbia. Today, the society/temple is well recognized as the first unique place of worship in Vancouver, BC, exclusively for Lord Ganesha, the God of knowledge, wisdom and wealth. The Society operates the temple located at 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada and promotes religious, spiritual, cultural, educational, social, and humanitarian needs and commitments for the benefits of its members. We are currently looking for 1 experienced Hindu Priest to join our team.
At present, the Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia provides a place of
worship in Vancouver, BC where devotees offer prayers to Lord Ganesha on daily basis. Special prayers and religious activities are also held on a monthly basis to celebrate certain festivals of the Hindus. The prayer hall facility is free and open to all devotees of Lord Ganesha.
Temple Operating Name: Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC)
Temple Address: 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada
Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC) invites applications for the full time position Hindu Priest for their Sri Ganesh Temple to perform daily Poojas (rituals) at the temple. Applications are accepted directly from interested priests only (not from any job hunter type agencies or recruitment agencies or other individuals).
Job Title: Priest
No. of Positions: 1
Job Description and Duties:
• Meet the temple community’s devotional and spiritual needs, the priest is
required to perform the daily routine of Hindu Vedic rituals / ceremonies and
other priestly duties as approved by the management at the temple and in strict
compliance with the acceptable Hindu customs and traditions
• Obey all lawful directives and instructions of the Society and temple
• Under no circumstances, leave the Temple facilities unattended during Temple
• Perform all poojas according to the schedule set by the Society from time to time;
• Perform archanais only upon receipt of archanai tickets authorized by and
purchased from the Society;
• Report and hand over to the persons designated by the Society all the
contributions from the devotees to the Temple or the Society in the form of
money (placed in the arathi thattu, handed to the Priest, or donated in any
manner) or in any other form;
• Clean the inner temple (sannithanam) so that it is kept clean and tidy at all times;
• Conduct religious services and associated activities, preach doctrine, provide
temple devotees with spiritual and moral guidance, perform necessary religious
and spiritual rites;
• Treat all devotees and other visitors to the Temple with respect and courtesy and
in a professional manner.
Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time, Long term
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
(Split Hours: 7 AM to 9 AM and 6 PM to 9 PM).
7 days a week. Required to work during weekends also.
Wages: Gross monthly salary will be $2,000. One-bedroom suite accommodation will be provided by the Society during the period of employment.
• Insurance from Workplace Safety and Insurance Board covered by employer
• Vacation pay as per provincial regulations will be paid each payday on a monthly
Location of Work: 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada
Anticipated Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Education, Experience and Language Requirements:
1. Experience in the rites and practices set out in the Kamika and Karana Agamas as observed in the Saivite Hindu tradition, including Homam and Kumba Abhishekam and Temple Poojas and Rituals
2. Shall be proficient in performing Vaidika Karyakramas including the Jatakarma,
Namakarana Punniyaka Vachanam, Annaprasanam, Upanayanam
(Janeu),Vidyarambha Samskaras, Ayushyahomam, Santhihomam,
Mruthyunjayahomam, Nakshatrahomam, Navagrahahomam, Ganapathihomam,
Rudrahomam, Chandi Parayanam and Homam, Moorthis Pratishtaapanas,
Sahasranama Pooja, Rudrabhishekam
3. Skillful in Alankaram and decoration of deities in various forms during temple
functions and major festivals
4. Should be able to communicate with the congregation and administration in Tamil; and the ability to communicate in English would be an asset
5. Well versed in Shukla and Krishna Yajurveda and Upanishads, including Sri
Rudram, Chamakam, Purusha Suktam Sri Suktam, Durga Suktam, Pavamana Suktam and Navagraha Suktam desirable
6. A minimum of five years’ experience as a Hindu Priest
7. Completion of Secondary School is not required. However, some certification and training pertaining to Vedic and Agamas (*Karana and Kamiya Agamas) from a Hindu religious organization would be an asset
Working Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
• Repetitive tasks
• Standing for extended periods
Additional Skills and Other Requirements:
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Must be a team player, flexible, reliable and organized
• Must be available for all hours of operations and shifts including overtime and
weekend work as required
Preference to Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, Visible
Minorities, New Immigrants, Indigenous Persons / Aboriginals and Vulnerable
If interested in this position, please apply by email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter.